CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – No. 20 Virginia (4-2, 2-1 ACC) dropped its first ACC contest, 17-9, on the road at Miami (3-3, 1-2 ACC) on Friday night at Hard Rock Stadium.
Virginia led with 318 total yards on offense but was unable to score a touchdown as kicker Brian Delaney (Chantilly, Va.) scored three field goals. Miami finished with 265 yards. The Cavaliers had the advantage in total plays (72-52) and time of possession (34:19-25:41).
Quarterback Bryce Perkins (Queen Creek, Ariz.) passed for 244 yards and wide receiver Hasise Dubois (Irvington, N.J.) led the team with seven receptions for 93 yards.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Miami opened the game with a touchdown on its first drive. Virginia hit its first field goal of the night at the end of the first half to trail 7-3 going into halftime. Neither team scored in the third quarter. UVA opened the fourth quarter with a field goal to cut it to 7-6. Miami responded with a field goal to lead 10-6 with 10:06 to play. The Cavaliers cut it to one again as Delaney hit a 44-yard field goal, but Miami took five minutes off the clock with a 10-play touchdown drive to put the game away.
QB Bryce Perkins
Passing: 244 yards
Rushing: 27 yards
WR Hasise Dubois
7 receptions, 93 yards
FS Joey Blount
8 tackles, 0.5 sacks
LB Noah Taylor
6 tackles, 2.5 TFL
PK Brian Delaney
• UVA’s defense yielded 265 yards of total offense to Miami. It’s the sixth time this season UVA has held its opponent to under 400 yards of total offense.
• After giving up 78 yards to Miami on its opening drive of the game, UVA yielded 13 yards the remainder of the first half against the Hurricanes
• With 271 yards of total offense (244 passing, 27 rushing), QB Bryce Perkins became the eighth player in program history to record 5,000 career yards of total offense.
• Perkins finished with 244 passing yards. It is the third time this season and 10th time in his career he has passed for over 200 yards.
• OLB Noah Taylor has a career-high 2.5 tackles for loss.
Virginia returns home to host Duke on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 3:30 p.m. at Scott Stadium. The game will be broadcast on ACC Network.