COLUMBUS, OHIO – The No. 22 Virginia men’s tennis team (2-0) advances to the championship match at ITA Kickoff Weekend in Columbus, Ohio after downing Iowa (0-1) by a 4-0 score on Friday (Jan. 22).
Virginia will take on host No. 3 Ohio State on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in the championship match.
Freshman Chris Rodesch (Angelsburg, Luxembourg) clinched the doubles point for the Cavaliers and clinched the overall victory with a win on the No. 5 singles court. Rodesch’s doubles partner, junior Ryan Goetz (Greenlawn, N.Y.), registered a dominant singles victory on court two that put UVA up 2-0 over the Hawkeyes. Freshman Jeffrey von der Schulenburg (Zurich, Switzerland) also won his singles match. Virginia was leading on all three remaining singles courts when the match was abandoned.
Von der Schulenburg and freshman Iñaki Montes (Pamplona, Spain) opened the match with a 6-4 victory on double court three. After Iowa won on court one, Rodesch served an ace on a deuce point to wrap up a 6-4 victory on court two to earn the doubles point for the Cavaliers.
In singles, UVA won the first set on all six courts. Goetz cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 victory on court two. Von der Schulenburg won his match 6-3, 6-2 while Rodesch registered a 6-4, 6-1 victory.
- Iowa was the No. 2 seed in Columbus and Virginia is the No. 3 seed
- Virginia was originally the No. 4 seed in Columbus, but No. 3 seed Texas Tech dropped out. Middle Tennessee State was added to the four-team pod, bumping UVA up to the No. 3 seed and changing the first-round opponent to Iowa instead of Ohio State
- This is the 13th year that ITA Kickoff Weekend matches have been used to determine the field for the ITA Division I National Men’s Team Indoor Championship
- Each of the regional host institutions (seven for the men, seven for the women) welcome three other teams for a single-elimination event, with the winners advancing to the National Team Indoors. Illinois will host the Men’s National Team Indoor Championship on Feb. 12-14 at the Atkins Tennis Center
- Live streaming video and live scoring for Saturday’s match will be available through links posted on VirginiaSports.com
#22 Virginia 4, Iowa 0
- #39 Kareem Allaf (IOWA) vs. #29 Carl Soderlund (VA) 3-6, 3-5, unfinished
- Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Joe Tyler (IOWA) 6-1, 6-0
- #106 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Oliver Okonkwo (IOWA) 6-3, 6-2
- Will Davies (IOWA) vs. Inaki Montes (VA) 1-6, 4-5, unfinished
- Chris Rodesch (VA) def. Nikita Snezhko (IOWA) 6-4, 6-1
- Jason Kerst (IOWA) vs. Gianni Ross (VA) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
- #17 Oliver Okonkwo/Will Davies (IOWA) def. Carl Soderlund/William Woodall (VA) 6-3
- Chris Rodesch/Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Kareem Allaf/Nikita Snezhko (IOWA) 6-4
- J vd Schulenburg/Inaki Montes (VA) def. Matt Clegg/Joe Tyler (IOWA) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (,2,3,5)
ITA Kickoff Weekend Opening Round