CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 14 Virginia women’s tennis team (2-1) opened the home portion of its schedule on Thursday (Jan. 28), taking a 7-0 victory over VCU (1-1) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point with victories on courts one and three before sweeping the singles matches to take the victory over the Rams.
With the 1-0 lead entering singles, victories from Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) and Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, British Columbia) put the Cavaliers on the brink of the win with straight-set victories at two and three singles. Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) then clinched the victory with her win at the fifth spot in the lineup.
Hibah Shaikh (Teaneck, N.J.), Emma Navarro (Charleston, S.C.) and Amber O’Dell (New Milford, N.J.) closed things out with wins on courts four, one and six, respectively.
Virginia will return to action on Saturday (Jan. 30) when the Cavaliers host No. 18 South Carolina in a 4 p.m. match at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
• Virginia posted its first shutout of the season with the 7-0 victory over the Rams.
• Freshman Emma Navarro (Charleston, S.C.) improved to 3-0 with her singles victory.
• Navarro and Vivian Glozman are both 3-0 in dual matches. Glozman is 4-1 on the year.
• The Cavaliers won the doubles point for the first time this season with wins at one and three.
• With the win the Cavaliers improved to 16-9 all-time against VCU.
FROM HEAD COACH SARA O’LEARY
“The team was really excited to get out on our home courts and play in front of our family and friends today. We’re proud of the way they responded after a tough road trip last weekend. We had some very close matches and had some chances, but I think in that match at Ohio State we learned so much about ourselves and grew from that match. I’m excited to see how they responded today and moving forward to the rest of the season.”
No. 14 Virginia 7, VCU 0
1. No. 80 Emma Navarro def. No. 116 Paola Delgado (VCU) – 6-1, 6-3
2. No. 11 Natasha Subhash def. Alessia Ciuca (VCU) – 6-1, 6-0
3. No. 47 Rosie Johanson def. Luminita Tutunaru (VCU) – 6-1, 6-3
4. Hibah Shaikh def. Gabriela Davidescu (VCU) – 6-1, 6-2
5. Vivian Glozman def. Kanako Yano (VCU) – 6-1, 6-0
6. No. 104 Amber O’Dell def. Noumea Witmus (VCU) – 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (3)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 5, 4, 1, 6
1. Rosie Johanson/Emma Navarro def. Alessia Ciuca/Luminita Tutunaru (VCU) – 6-2
2 Paola Delgado/Noumea Witmus (VCU) def. Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash – 6-2
3. Amber O’Dell/Hibah Shaikh def. Gabriela Davidescu/Kanako Yano (VCU) – 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3