CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia Cavaliers (1-0) return to action on Saturday afternoon, hosting the Army West Point Black Knights (0-0) at Klöckner Stadium. Faceoff is set for 12 p.m. UVA is ranked No. 3 in this week’s USILA coaches poll and No. 6 in the preseason Inside Lacrosse media poll. Army is ranked No. 12 in the coaches poll and No. 15 in the preseason media poll.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Live stats will be available at VirginiaSports.com. Video highlights will be posted to VirginiaSports.com and Virginia men’s lacrosse social media channels after the game.
• Virginia owns a 152-40 (.7906) all-time record at Klöckner Stadium, including a 1-0 mark in 2021 and are winners of 14 of last 16 played in the historic edifice. UVA also is 12-3 all-time at Klöckner Stadium in the NCAA Tournament.
• UVA is 25-8 all-time at Klöckner Stadium under head coach Lars Tiffany.
• Ian Laviano needs one goal to become the 18th Cavalier all-time to reach 100 career goals.
• Charlie Bertrand has a point in all 59 games of his career, which ranks No. 1 among active DI players.
• The Cavaliers are No. 1 in the nation in the riding game, limiting its opponents to .667 clearing.
Grad transfer Charlie Bertrand has scored at least one goal in all 58 of his career collegiate games. It is the longest active streak of all DI players entering 2021.
• Matt Moore has a goal in 27-straight games, which ranks No. 7 among active players.
• UVA and Army are meeting in men’s lacrosse for the first time since the 1985 NCAA Tournament, which resulted in a 10-6 Cavalier win in Charlottesville.
•However, Army owns the all-time edge in the series, 10-3.
• UVA has won two in row against the Black Knights with both coming in the NCAA Tournament. The Cavaliers also beat Army, 10-3, in 1972 to jumpstart UVA’s run to its first NCAA title.
• UVA and Army played each other every season from 1960- 1968, with the Black Knights going 8-1 over that span.
• Army has come to Charlottesville five previous times, Saturday will be the Black Knights’ first-ever game at Klöckner Stadium.
• Army head coach Joe Alberici is in his 16th season at the helm of the Black Knights.
• The Black Knights went 6-2 in the shortened 2020 season. Army returns its leading scorer from 2020 in attackman Brendan Nichtern, who amassed 46 points on 19 goals and 27 assists in just eight games.
The Lower Turf practice field is not set-up to accommodate spectators and fans are not permitted to attend, which includes standing room outside the fence.
UVA heads to “Charm City” to face the Loyola Greyhounds on February 20. Face-off is set for 5 p.m. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+.