WEYMOUTH, Mass. – The No. 4 Virginia men’s tennis team (7-2, 1-0 ACC) opened Atlantic Coast Conference play with a 7-0 victory against Boston College (0-1, 0-1 ACC) on Friday (Feb. 19) at the Weymouth Club in Weymouth, Mass.
Virginia won the doubles point and took all six singles matches in straight sets.
Freshman Alexander Kiefer (The Woodlands, Texas) started the scoring for the Cavaliers in both doubles and singles. He and partner senior Matthew Lord (Bloomfield, Conn.) started the match with a 6-1 win on the No. 3 doubles court. In singles, he flew through a 6-1, 6-1 victory against Bennett Turner on court six. Senior Gianni Ross (Chicago, Ill.) also had a dominant win on court five, topping Mason Fung 6-0, 6-2. Freshman Jeffrey von der Schulenburg (Zurich, Switzerland) played at the No. 1 singles court for the first time this season, picking up a 6-2, 6-0 win against Max Mendehlson.
- Virginia improved 20-0 all-time against Boston College
- Virginia had freshmen playing in four of the six slots in both the singles and doubles lineups
FROM ANDRES PEDROSO
“The Eagles played a great match and our guys were all business out there. Today was a very mature match from our team and a great way to kick off the ACC regular season. Tough battles ahead.”
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia will be on the road again next weekend, playing at No. 17 NC State on Friday, Feb. 26 and No. 13 Wake Forest on Sunday, Feb. 28
- UVA’s next home match is scheduled for Friday, March 5 when it hosts Miami. Note the new date for this match
#4 Virginia 7, Boston College 0
- #106 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Max Mendelsohn (BC) 6-2, 6-0
- Inaki Montes (VA) def. Sean Mullins (BC) 6-2, 6-2
- Chris Rodesch (VA) def. Max Motlagh (BC) 6-2, 6-2
- Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Shreekar Eedara (BC) 6-1, 6-1
- Gianni Ross (VA) def. Mason Fung (BC) 6-0, 6-2
- Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Bennett Turner (BC) 6-1, 6-1
- Ryan Goetz/Chris Rodesch (VA) vs. Max Motlagh/Sean Mullins (BC), UF 4-5
- Inaki Montes/J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Shreekar Eedara/Mason Fun (BC) 6-1
- Alexander Kiefer/Matthew Lord def. Bennett Turner/Max Mendelsohn (BC) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,5,4,2,3)