WEYMOUTH, Mass. – The Virginia women’s tennis team (5-2, 1-1 ACC) opened up a weekend road trip with a 7-0 win against Boston College (2-3, 1-3 ACC) on Friday (Feb. 26) at the Weymouth Tennis Clun in Weymouth, Mass.
Virginia won the doubles point with victories on courts one and three and won five of the six singles matches in straight sets.
In doubles, junior Amber O’Dell (New Milford, N.J.) and senior Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) opened the match with a 6-3 win on court three, but the top-two courts were much closer battles. Senior Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, Canada) and freshman Emma Navarro (Charleston, S.C.) picked up a late break to win 7-5 on the top court to clinch the point while court two was in a tiebreaker.
In singles, junior Sofia Munera (Pereira, Colombia) and O’Dell both flew through their matches on courts four and six, respectively, to put UVA ahead, 3-0. Johanson sealed the team win with a 6-1, 6-3 victory on court three. Navarro and sophomore Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) closed out straight-set victories on the top two courts to make it a 6-0 advantage. Glozman, who had dropped her first set 6-3 to Laura Lopez on court five, rebounded with a 6-4 victory in the second set to force a super tiebreaker, which she won to complete the sweep.
FROM HEAD COACH SARA O’LEARY
“I thought our team played with great composure and confidence today. Whatever adversity was thrown at them, they didn’t waver. We’re excited for another match on Sunday.”
- Navarro faced BC’s lone ranked player, No. 76 Yufei Long
- Virginia improved to 24-0 all-time against the Eagles
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia closes out the road trip on Sunday, Feb. 28, playing at Syracuse at 11 a.m.
#15 Virginia 7, Boston College 0
- #80 Emma Navarro (VA) def. #76 Yufei Long (BC) 6-3, 6-4
- #11 Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Kylie Wilcox (BC) 6-3, 7-6
- #47 Rosie Johanson (VA) def. Natasha Irani (BC) 6-1, 6-3
- #91 Sofia Munera (VA) def. Marice Aguiar (BC) 6-1, 6-1
- Vivian Glozman (UVA) def. Laura Lopez (BC) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0
- #104 Amber O’Dell (UVA) def. Sophia Edwards (BC) 6-0, 6-2
- Emma Navarro/Rosie Johanson (UVA) def. Yufei Long/Kylie Wilcox (BC) 7-5
- Natasha Subhash/Sofia Munera (UVA) vs. Laura Lopez/Marice Aguiar (BC) 6-6, unfinished
- Amber O’Dell/Vivian Glozman (UVA) def. Loren Haukova/Hailey Wilcox (BC) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,6,3,1,2,5)