SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The Virginia women’s tennis team (6-2, 2-1 ACC) closed out its weekend road trip with a 4-3 win at Syracuse (4-4, 1-1 ACC) on Sunday (Feb. 28) at Drumlins Tennis Center in Syracuse, N.Y.
Virginia lost a close doubles point, but rebounded with four-straight wins on the singles courts to secure the victory. Junior Sofia Munera (Pereira, Colombia) clinched the victory with a win on singles court four.
In doubles, junior Amber O’Dell (New Millford, N.J.) and senior Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) opened the match with a 6-3 win on court three. Syracuse won a close 7-5 match on court one to even things up. Court two was knotted 6-6, forcing a tiebreaker to decide the point which the Orange won 7-3.
In singles, junior Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) evened the score with a 6-4, 6-2 win on court five. Both senior Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, Canada) and freshman Emma Navarro (Charleston, S.C.) won their first sets in tiebreakers and then came back with dominant second set victories, with Johanson winning 6-1 and Navarro 6-2, to put UVA ahead 3-1.
Munera won her first set, 6-4, but dropped her second 6-2. She rebounded in the third, winning it 6-2 to clinch the victory for the Cavaliers.
FROM HEAD COACH SARA O’LEARY
“Syracuse played and competed very well today. It was a great match for us on the road. I was really proud of the composure the team showed after losing a tough close doubles point. We weren’t playing our best tennis but it’s days like these where we have to stay focused on the controllables and be willing to battle and we did that really well today. It was a great team effort!”
- This was Syracuse’s first home loss of the season
- Emma Navarro improved to 7-0 at No. 1 singles
- Vivian Glozman and Amber O’Dell have won three straight doubles matches
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers return home next weekend to begin a six-match homestand that spans the entire month of March, beginning with a Saturday, March 6 contest against Louisville
#15 Virginia 4, Syracuse 3
- #80 Emma Navarro (VA) def. #81 Guzal Yusupova (SU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
- #121 V. Kanapatskaya (SU) def. #11 Natasha Subhash (VA) 7-5, 6-4
- #47 Rosie Johanson (VA) def. Natalie Novotna (SU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
- #91 Sofia Munera (VA) def. Miranda Ramirez (SU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
- Vivian Glozman (VA) def. Polina Kozyreva (SU) 6-4, 6-2
- Ines Fonte (SU) def. #104 Amber O’Dell (VA) 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (8-6)
- Polina Kozyreva/Sofya Treshcheva (SU) def. Rosie Johanson/Emma Navarro (VA) 7-5
- Natalie Novotna/V. Kanapatskaya (SU) def. Sofia Munera/Natasha Subhash (VA) 7-6 (7-3)
- Amber O’Dell/Vivian Glozman (VA) def. Guzal Yusupova/Miranda Ramirez (SU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,1,3,4,2,6)