CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia Cavaliers (3-1) return to action on Wednesday afternoon, hosting the High Point Panthers (1-2) at Klöckner Stadium. Faceoff is set for 3 p.m. UVA is ranked No. 8 in this week’s USILA coaches poll and No. 9 in the Inside Lacrosse media polls. High Point is No. 19 in both the coaches and media polls.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Live stats will be available at VirginiaSports.com. The game will be televised live on ACC Network. Anish Shroff will call the play-by-play, while Quint Kessenich will provide analysis. ACC Network will also simulcast the broadcast on the WatchESPN app, or by logging onto ESPN.com/watch. There will be a live radio broadcast in the Charlottesville area on WINA 1070 AM and 98.9 FM. Luke Neer will provide the play-by-play and Doug Tarring will add analysis.
• Matt Moore needs eight goals to become the 19th Cavalier in program history to reach 100 career goals.
• Charlie Bertrand has at least one goal in all 62 game of his college career. His active goal streak and point streak are the longest in the nation among all DI players. His 62 goal-scoring streak is a collegiate record spanning DI, DII and DIII lacrosse.
• UVA is No. 9 in the nation in caused turnovers per game (9.75), No. 2 in the nation in opponent clearing percentage (.709) and No. 3 in the nation in ground balls per game (41.25)
• FO Petey LaSalla is No. 8 in the nation with 8.25 ground balls per game and No. 16 in faceoff winning percentage with a 61.3 percent success rate.
• Payton Cormier leads UVA with 14 goals in just four games. He had 12 goals in UVA’s six games in 2020. Cormier also has at least a hat-trick in six of his 10 career games.
• Wednesday afternoon Virginia and High Point meet for the sixth time, a series that UVA leads narrowly, 3-2. The series is tied, 2-2, when played at Klöckner Stadium.
• UVA holds a 38-3 all-time advantage over current teams from the Southern Conference.
• The Panthers notched a 14-13 win over the Cavaliers at Klöckner in 2019, serving UVA one of only three losses during the Cavaliers’ 2019 NCAA title season.
• Last year Matt Moore recorded eight points (2-6-8) to help UVA win, 18-15.
• Jon Torpey is in his ninth season as the Panthers’ head coach, their only one in program history.
• The Panthers first season of playing lacrosse was the 2013 season.
• Torpey and High Point went 2-6 in 2020 before the season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Five of those losses came to ranked teams.
• In 2019 HPU went 13-3 and was upset by Richmond in the SoCon championship game. High Point won the SoCon in 2015 and made its first NCAA Tournament appearance.
• Asher Nolting leads HPU with 19 points on seven goals and a team-high 12 assists.
• Kevin Rodgers and Brayden Mayea share the team lead with 10 goals.
• Antonio Arcona is saving 41.8 percent of shot between the pipes and posting a 19.19 goals against average.
Due to health and safety considerations, in addition to the current guidelines for sports venues set by the Commonwealth of Virginia, attendance for UVA home lacrosse competitions will be limited to the family of student-athletes and coaching staff until further notice.
UVA returns to action on Saturday when the Air Force Falcons come to Klöckner Stadium. Faceoff is set for 4 p.m. The contest will be broadcast live on ACCNX.