CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 14 Virginia women’s tennis team (8-2, 4-1 ACC) finished out the weekend with a 6-1 victory against Notre Dame (8-6, 3-4 ACC) on Sunday (March 7) on the indoor courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
Virginia won the doubles point and took five of six singles courts in straight sets.
The Cavaliers dominated in doubles, winning both courts one and two by 6-0 scores. Junior Amber O’Dell (New Milford, N.J.) and senior Vivian Glozman (Bellevue, Wash.) won 6-1 on the third court.
The Cavaliers reached a 4-0 advantage with singles wins from freshman Emma Navarro (Charleston, S.C.), senior Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, Canada) and junior Sofia Munera (Periera, Colombia) on courts one, three and four. Navarro cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win against Notre Dame’s only ranked singles player, Cameron Corse. Johanson made short work of Julia Lilien, 6-1, 6-3. Munera played a close first set against Maeve Koscielski, 6-4, but won her second 6-2.
Sophomore Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) gave UVA a 5-0 lead with her 6-4, 6-3 victory against Ally Bojczuk on court two.
Notre Dame picked up its point with a three-set victory by Yashna Yellayi on court six.
On the remaining court, Glozman avoided a third-set super tiebreaker by winning her second set tiebreaker, 8-6, to close out the match.
FROM HEAD COACH SARA O’LEARY
“It’s a great weekend for our team. I was really proud of the way that they competed and carried themselves through back-to-back matches. I was really pleased with the way they came out in doubles today. We worked on doubles quite a bit last week and I think it paid off this weekend.”
- Notre Dame is ranked No. 49 in this week’s ITA team rankings
- Virginia won both of its weekend matches by identical 6-1 scores
- Emma Navarro improved to 9-0 at No. 1 singles to begin her collegiate career
- Vivian Glozman and Amber O’Dell have won five straight doubles matches
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers have one match next weekend, hosting Virginia Tech on Saturday, March 13 at 1 p.m. It will be the women’s team’s first match on the new courts at the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Resort (weather permitting)
#14 Virginia 6, #49 Notre Dame 1
- #80 Emma Navarro (VA) def. #109 Cameron Corse (ND) 6-1, 6-1
- #11 Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Ally Bojczuk (ND) 6-4, 6-3
- #47 Rosie Johanson (VA) def. Julia Lilien (ND) 6-1, 6-3
- #91 Sofia Munera (VA) def. Maeve Koscielski (ND) 6-4, 6-2
- Vivian Glozman (VA) def. Julia Andreach (ND) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
- Yashna Yellayi (ND) def. #104 Amber O’Dell (VA) 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
- Emma Navarro/Rosie Johanson (VA) def. Cameron Corse/Julia Andreach (ND) 6-0
- Natasha Subhash/Sofia Munera (VA) def. Ally Bojczuk/Maeve Koscielski (ND) 6-0
- Amber O’Dell/Vivian Glozman (VA) def. Julia Lilien/Yashna Yellayi (ND) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,4,2,6,5)