CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.. – The No. 3 Virginia men’s tennis team (13-2, 7-0 ACC) picked up a 5-2 victory against Clemson (6-9, 1-6 ACC) on Sunday (March 14) at the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Resort in Charlottesville.
Virginia won the doubles point and picked up singles victories on courts one, three, four and six.
In doubles, freshman Jeffrey von der Schulneburg (Zurich, Switzerland) and senior Matthew Lord (Bloomfield, Conn.) had a quick 6-1 victory on court three. Junior Ryan Goetz (Greenlawn, N.Y.) and freshman Chris Rodesch (Angelsburg, Luxembourg) gutted out a 6-4 win on court two to clinch the point.
In singles, grad student Carl Söderlund (Stockholm, Sweden) and senior Gianni Ross (Chicago, Ill.) both logged dominant 6-0, 6-1 victories to give UVA a 3-0 lead.
Clemson picked up a win on court five to make the score 3-1.
On court four, Goetz saved two set points when down 5-3 to go on to win his first set 7-5, He dominated his second set 6-1 to clinch the victory for the Cavaliers.
Rodesch added the fifth point with a 6-4, 6-3 victory on court three.
- Clemson is receiving votes in this week’s ITA rankings
- Virginia won both matches this weekend by 5-2 scores
FROM ANDRES PEDROSO
“I thought it was a great team effort today. Guys competed across the board. We got in some holes in doubles at the beginning, but we problem-solved and figured it and played a little better. So I’m really happy across-the-board with how we competed and that’s always what’s most important.”
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia’s match against Kentucky that was scheduled for next Friday (March 19) has been canceled
- The Cavaliers next match will be Friday, March 26 when they host Duke
#3 Virginia 5, Clemson 2
- #29 Carl Soderlund (VA) def. Yizhou Liu (MCU21) 6-0, 6-1
- Carlos Kelaidis (MCU21) def. #106 J vd Schulenburg (VA) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (6)
- Chris Rodesch (VA) def. Ryuhei Azuma (MCU21) 6-4, 6-3
- Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Spencer Whitaker (MCU21) 7-5, 6-1
- Jorge Plans Gonzalez (MCU21) def. Alexander Kiefer (VA) 6-1, 6-3
- Gianni Ross (VA) def. Andrew Puscas (MCU21) 6-0, 6-1
- Carl Soderlund/William Woodall (VA) vs. Ryuhei Azuma/Spencer Whitaker (MCU21) 5-6, unfinished
- Ryan Goetz/Chris Rodesch (VA) def. Yizhou Liu/Jorge Plans Gonzalez (MCU21) 6-4
- J vd Schulenburg/Matthew Lord (VA) def. Carlos Kelaidis/Andrew Puscas (MCU21) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,5,4,3,2)