CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 12 Virginia women’s tennis team (13-4, 9-3 ACC) opened its weekend road trip to the state of North Carolina with a 5-2 win against No. 30 Wake Forest (9-9, 5-5 ACC) on Friday (April 9) in Winston-Salem, N.C.
The Cavaliers dropped the doubles point but won five of the six singles matches to earn the victory.
In doubles, Wake Forest picked up wins on courts one and three, both by a score of 6-1 to take a quick 1-0 lead in the match.
Senior Rosie Johanson (Vancouver, Canada) tied the match by finishing off a 6-2, 6-0 win against Brooke Killingsworth on court three before two of the matches had even finished their first sets. Sophomore Natasha Subhash (Fairfax, Va.) put UVA ahead 2-1 with a 6-4, 6-0 victory against Anna Brylin on court two. Junior Sofia Munera (Pereira, Colombia) won 6-3, 6-3 against Peyto Pesavento on court six to make it 3-1.
Freshman Emma Navarro (Charleston, S.C.) won her first set against No. 15 Carolyn Campana 6-2 but was edged 6-4 in the second. Navarro won the decider 6-3 to clinch the victory for the Cavaliers.
Fellow freshman Hibah Shaikh (Teaneck, N.J.) also won her match on court four in three sets, rebounding from losing her first set in a tiebreaker, to take the latter two by 6-3 scores.
- Rosie Johanson extended her singles win streak to 11 matches
- Emma Navarro played in a doubles quarterfinal match last night at the WTA’s Volvo Car Open in Charleston, S.C., before rejoining the team in time for today’s match in Winston-Salem, N.C. Navarro also played in the singles draw at the WTA 500 tournament, advancing to the second round
- Natasha Subhash picked up her 10th ACC singles win of the season, improving to 10-2
- Subhash and Sofia Munera were leading 4-1 on doubles court two when play was abandoned. They have won their last six completed doubles matches
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia closes out the regular season on Sunday at No. 6 NC State
- Virginia and NC State are tied for third place in the conference standings, both with 9-3 ACC records
- The match begins at 1 p.m. with live stats and live streaming video available through links posted on VirginiaSports.com
#12 Virginia 5, #30 Wake Forest 2
- #6 Emma Navarro (VA) def. #15 Carolyn Campana (WF) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
- #35 Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Anna Brylin (WF) 6-4, 6-0
- #101 Rosie Johanson (VA) def. Brooke Killingsworth (WF) 6-2, 6-0
- Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Eliza Omirou (WF) 6-7 (0-7), 6-3, 6-3
- Casie Wooten (WF) def. Amber O’Dell (VA) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
- Sofia Munera (VA) def. Peyton Pesavento (WF) 6-3, 6-3
- #57 Eliza Omirou/Carolyn Campana (WF) def. #41 Rosie Johanson/Emma Navarro (VA) 6-1
- #21 Brooke Killingsworth/Anna Brylin (WF) vs. #29 Natasha Subhash/Sofia Munera (VA) 1-4, unfinished
- Peyton Pesavento/Casie Wooten (WF) def. #52 Amber O’Dell/Vivian Glozman (VA) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,2,6,5,1,4)