CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia men’s soccer program will open its 2021 season at home on August 26 with a matchup against Western Michigan at Klöckner Stadium. The season opener is part of an 10-game home slate for the seven-time National Champion Cavaliers.
Virginia will renew its rivalry with former ACC foe Maryland in a neutral site game at Audi Field in Washington D.C, home of D.C. United. The two teams will square off on Monday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m. It will mark the third meeting between the Cavaliers and Terps in the last four years at Audi Field. Ticket information for the match will be announced at a later date.
The eight-game Atlantic Coast Conference schedule includes home games against Syracuse (Sept. 10), North Carolina (Sept. 25), Boston College (Oct. 8) and Pittsburgh (Oct. 22). The Cavaliers will travel in league play to Virginia Tech (Sept. 17), Notre Dame (Oct. 1), NC State (Oct. 15) and Duke (Oct. 29).
In non-conference action, Virginia will also host High Point (Sept. 2), UNC Greensboro (Sept. 14), VCU (Sept. 28), UNCW (Oct. 5) and Denver (Oct. 11) at Klöckner Stadium.
Fans can get their first glimpse of the 2021 squad in a trio of home exhibition matches. The Cavaliers will host Navy (Aug. 14), Longwood (Aug. 17) and Radford (Aug. 21) in Charlottesville. Admission to all three exhibitions is free.
- The Cavaliers will host two of the four 2020 College Cup participants when North Carolina and Pitt come to Klöckner Stadium this fall.
- Virginia and Maryland first played at Audi Field in 2018 and returned again in 2019. The two teams played to a 0-0 draw in the inaugural match and the Cavaliers bested then-No. 1 Maryland, 2-0 in the 2019 meeting.
- The Cavaliers will play at Notre Dame for the fifth-straight year. The two teams have played 15 times since 2013.
By the Numbers
- 16 regular season games (10 home, five away, one neutral site)
- 6 opponents who qualified for the 36-team NCAA Tournament field last season will be on the 2021 UVA schedule (North Carolina, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Maryland, James Madison, UNC Greensboro)
- 5 Teams in the final 2021 United Soccer Coaches National Rankings – (No. 3 Pitt, No. 4 North Carolina, No. 15 Virginia Tech, No. 21 James Madison, No. 23 High Point)
Broadcast & Ticket Information
The broadcast selections for Virginia men’s soccer, including games that will appear on the ACC Network, will be released and posted to VirginiaSports.com once they are determined by the Atlantic Coast Conference and ESPN. Starting times for games should be considered tentative and subject to change based on the broadcast selections.
Ticket information will be announced at a later date.