BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia men’s soccer team (2-3-1, 0-2-0 ACC) fell in double overtime to No. 17 Virginia Tech (3-1-2, 1-1-0 ACC) on Friday night at Thompson Field in the Commonwealth Clash presented by Smithfield. Asparuh Slavov scored his first collegiate goal for the Cavaliers.
47’ – VT: Jacob Labovitz (Kyle McDowell)
58’ – UVA: Asparuh Slavov
108’ VT: Jacob Labovitz (Pol Monells)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither side could find the back of the net in the first half with both Virginia and Virginia Tech’s keepers coming up with saves.
- Virginia Tech opened the second half scoring off a free kick sent in by Virginia Tech defender Kyle McDowell to forward Jacob Labovitz, who sent it just past Holden Brown in the bottom right of the goal.
- The Cavaliers answered right back with a goal of their own in the 58th mintue as freshman forward Asparuh Slavov spun around his defender and ripped a shot from far outside the box, curling it into the upper right side of the net.
— Virginia Men’s Soccer (@UVAMenSoccer) September 18, 2021
- Virginia Tech sealed the victory in double overtime with a cross sent into the Virginia box from Pol Monells that found Labovitz, who headed it into the lower right side of the goal.
- UVA traveled to Blacksburg, Va., for its first road match of the season.
- UVA led Virginia Tech in both shots (15) and shots on goal (9).
- Forward Leo Afonso led all players in shots with four.
- Freshman midfielder Asparuh Slavov netted his first collegiate goal in the second half.
- The defensive trio of Brown, Andreas Ueland, and Oliver Gerbig have played all 578 minutes for the Cavaliers this season.
Virginia will travel to face James Madison on Tuesday, September 21 at 7 p.m.