HARRISONBURG, Va. – Virginia men’s soccer (2-3-1) fell 1-0 in the 109th minute to James Madison (6-3-0) on Tuesday night at Sentara Park. It was the third consecutive double overtime match for the Cavaliers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore forward Leo Afonso took a shot five minutes into the contest that was saved by JMU.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Holden Brown had five saves in the first half, while JMU led 8-2 in shots.
- Virginia had its first corner kick of the night just 30 seconds into the second period.
- The Cavaliers’ defense weathered 10 shots from JMU in the second half.
- Afonso took the first shot of the second overtime period that was blocked, he led UVA with four shots.
- Melker Anshelm scored at the 108:55 mark to give JMU the win.
- Virginia played its third consecutive double overtime match for the first time since 2013.
- Brown finished with eight saves on the night, just one shy of his career-high nine set earlier this season against Maryland.
- Asparuh Slavov and Jermey Verley each had shots for UVA.
- Will Citron, Paul Wiese, Oliver Gerbig, Andreas Ueland, Slavov and Brown played in all 109 minutes.
Virginia hosts North Carolina on Saturday, Sept. 25 at 4 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium. The game will be broadcast on ACC Regional Sports Network.