— Virginia Women's Soccer (@UVAWomenSoccer) September 24, 2021
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – For the second straight game the Cavaliers shut out an ACC opponent and Diana Ordoñez provided the winning goal as No. 7 Virginia (9-1-0, 2-0-0 ACC) defeated No. 2 Duke (7-1-0, 1-1-0 ACC) by a score of 1-0 on Thursday night (Sept. 23) at Klöckner Stadium.
Ordoñez has now provided the game-winning goal in back-to-back games for the Cavaliers as the Hoos posted back-to-back 1-0 wins over Wake Forest and the second-ranked Duke to start ACC play.
57’ – UVA: Diana Ordoñez (Alexis Theoret, Haley Hopkins)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Ordoñez put the Hoos on the board with her goal in the 57th minute. A foul set up a free kick for the Cavaliers in front of the Virginia bench and Alexis Theoret lined up to take it. She served it in to the six where it was flicked on by Haley Hopkins with the header toward Ordoñez near the back post. The junior forward slid and tapped it in and put Virginia on top 1-0.
NOTES ON THE GAME
• Virginia improved to 24-15-9 all-time against the Blue Devils with the win on Thursday night.
• Diana Ordoñez now holds a team-leading nine goals and 18 points.
• The Ordoñez goal was also the 11th game-winning goal of her career.
• Laurel Ivory now has 38 career shutouts and improved to 60-16-11 for her career.
• The assist was the first of her collegiate career for Alexis Theoret.
FROM HEAD COACH STEVE SWANSON
“It was a great team win tonight. To get three points in a game like this at home was huge for us. Duke is a very good team. They are difficult to play against and difficult to score against. Now we have to meet the next challenge which is NC State on the road.“
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
Virginia goes back out on the road in ACC play on Sunday, taking on the NC State Wolfpack in a 2 p.m. match at Dail Soccer Stadium.