Ubogu’s Brace Lifts Virginia Past VCU
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia men’s soccer (3-5-1) scored three unanswered goals in the second half to win 3-1 over VCU (5-3-1) on Tuesday night at Klöckner Stadium. Freshman Kome Ubogu recorded his first career brace to lead the Cavaliers.
38’ – VCU: Pablo Varela Fraga
69’ – UVA: Kome Ubogu (Chris Scheipe, Erick Kilosho)
71’ – UVA: Ubogu (Ank Nibogora)
81’ – UVA: Michael Tsicoulias (Ubogu)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU scored after a shot rebounded off a UVA defender right back to Pablo Varela Fraga.
- UVA trailed VCU 7-6 in shots at the half.
- After several substitutions, Virginia was pressing the ball forward as Chris Scheipe drove the ball in from the left side to Ubogu, who hit the header just inside the left post to tie the game.
- Just two minutes later, freshman Ank Nibogora played a ball ahead for Ubogu who beat his defender and tapped the ball just past the VCU goalie for the brace.
- The Cavaliers added to their lead as freshman Michael Tsicoulias crossed the ball into the right side of the net off his left foot.
- Ubogu recorded his first collegiate goal, first collegiate assist and first collegiate brace in the win.
- Tsicoulias’ goal was his second of the season.
- Virginia had 12 shots to six for VCU in the second half.
- It is the second time this season UVA has had a player record a brace. Andreas Ueland scored two goals in UVA’s win over High Point.
FROM HEAD COACH GEORGE GELNOVATCH
“We did need a win, winning 1-0 would have been great but scoring three goals in the process. Some young guys, Kome, Michael Tsicoulias, Ank (Nibogora), Erick Kilosho, some first-year guys coming on to the field in the second half did really well. I think we wore them down. They are a very good team, they beat an ACC team, tied an ACC team on the road so we are the third ACC team they have played. It is a good win for us.”
Virginia travels to Notre Dame for an ACC matchup on Friday, Oct. 1 at 6 p.m. on ACC Network.