NEWTON, Mass. – The No. 2 Virginia women’s soccer team (11-1-1, 4-0-1 ACC) scored in both halves, including a second-half brace from Alexa Spaanstra, on the way to a 3-0 victory at Boston College (6-6-1, 0-5-0 ACC) on Thursday night (Oct. 7).
33’ – UVA: Diana Ordoñez (Penalty Kick)
57’ – UVA: Alexa Spaanstra (Haley Hopkins, Lia Godfrey)
60’ – UVA: Alexa Spaanstra (Lia Godfrey)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Diana Ordoñez got the Cavaliers on the board with a first-half penalty kick after she was taken down in the box in the 33rd minute of play. The senior forward slipped the ball in past the reach of the diving keeper for the lead at the half.
Spaanstra then extended the lead for the Cavaliers with a pair of goals in three minutes in the second half. Both goals came off corner kicks. The first was served into the box by Lia Godfrey in the 57th minute where Haley Hopkins headed it off a Boston College player to the foot of Spaanstra at the center of the goal and she poked it in. The second came in the 60th minute when Godfrey again drove a corner kick low toward the front post where Spaanstra headed it in.
NOTES ON THE GAME
• Diana Ordoñez hit her 10th goal of the season and her 12th game-winning goal of her career.
• Alexa Spaanstra tallied a brace for the first time this season and the sixth of her career.
• Lia Godfrey tallied two assists for her second multiple-assist game of the season and third of her career.
• Godfrey now has eight assists on the season, one shy of her season total from a year ago.
• With the win, Virginia improves to 11-7-2 all-time against Boston College and 5-4-0 in games played at BC.
• The shutout was the ninth of the season for Virginia and fourth through five ACC games this season.
• With the shutout, Laurel Ivory now has 40 career shutouts and improved her career record to 61-16-12.
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
Virginia will return to action on Sunday (Oct. 10) when the Cavaliers continue ACC play on the road at Syracuse. Sunday’s match against the Orange will be at noon on ACCNX.