WINSTON SALEM, N.C. – The No. 11 seed Virginia men’s soccer team’s (6-9-3) season ended with a 3-0 loss to No. 6 seed Wake Forest (11-5-1) on Wednesday night in the 2021 ACC Championship First Round at Spry Stadium.
21’ – WF: Omar Hernandez
42’ – WF: Kyle Holcomb (Jake Swallen)
69’ – WF: Leo Guarino (Garrison Tubbs)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wake Forest got on the board first when the ball slipped past UVA’s defense and Hernandez was there to collect it.
- Goalie Holden Brown had seven saves in the first half, including a save on a penalty kick from Wake at 41:01.
- Brown’s save on the PK resulted in a corner kick and the Demon Deacons capitalized on the open back post to take a 2-0 lead.
- Virginia only took two shots in the first half, both coming in the last two minutes of the half.
- WF scored its third goal at the 68:07 mark.
- Holden Brown finished with a career-high 10 saves.
- The Cavaliers trailed WF in shots, 17-6.
- Along with Brown, Jules Anderson, Andreas Ueland and Asparuh Slavov played all 90 minutes for UVA.
- Jeremy Verley led UVA with three shots, while Anderson had two shots on the night.