BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia men’s and women’s track and field teams completed the opening day of the Doc Hale VT Elite Meet at the Rector Field House in Blacksburg on Friday, Feb. 4 with strong performances from several athletes.
Liam Bellamy set the pace for the Cavaliers early as he turned in a personal best performance in the 800m. Clocking in at 1:51.13 Bellamy edged out Charlotte’s Zach Beale for first place in the event. It was Bellamy’s first event win of his collegiate career.
On the women’s side of the 800m, Claire Frazier Bolton also set a personal best time as she posted 2:10.97 in a sixth-place finish. Alahna Sabbakhan placed seventh (2:11.40).
Virginia’s Jacob Lemmon posted Virginia’s best mark in the weight throw this season. His heave of 19.24m (63’1.5”) earned the junior thrower fifth-place in the event.
In the women’s long jump, Jada Seaman leaped into third place with her best mark of the season (6.05m / 19’10.25”). Alix Still claimed fifth place (5.86m / 19’2.75”) while Zoe Rice took eighth (5.65m / 18’6.5”).
Owayne Owens took home third place in the long jump for the men. In his first attempt at the event this season, Owens leaped to a distance of 7.40m (24’3.5”). Heldi Valikaj placed sixth (7.17m / 23’6.25”).
The Cavaliers crowded the top of the top-ten in the unseeded pole vault. Trina Barcarola won the event with a personal-best mark of 4.00m (13’1.5”) while following in second place was Gabriella Recce who matched her personal best at 3.90m (12’9.5”). Caroline Dannenbaum bagged a fifth-place finish in her first collegiate appearance at 3.80m (12’5.5”). Riley Larsen took home eighth place at 3.70m (12’1.5”).
- Trina Barcarola set a personal best in the 60m hurdles at 9.01
- Tavares Kelly placed eighth in the 60m dash (7.02)
- Kayla Bonnick placed second in the 60m dash at 7.57
- Alex Sherman (48.71) and Jay Pendarvis (48.88) finished eighth and 10th respectively in the 400m
- Anzhelika Parenchuk placed fifth in the 400m (56.98)
- Emily Alexandru set a personal best (58.05) in the 400m
- Kane Aldrich (4.80m / 15’9”) placed second in the men’s unseeded pole vault
- Kyle Mosteller set a personal best mark in the unseeded pole vault (4.65m / 15’3”)
Virginia will return to action on Saturday, February 4 for day two of the Doc Hale VT Elite Meet at the Rector Field House. Events will begin at 11 a.m.