CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Virginia (14-9, 8-5 ACC) plays No. 9 Duke (19-3, 9-2 ACC) in ACC Big Monday action on Feb. 7. Tipoff at Cameron Indoor Stadium is set for 7 p.m. on ESPN.
• UVA is sixth in the ACC at 8-5, while No. 9 Duke is first at 9-2.
• The Cavaliers have averaged 66.8 points per game and allowed 54.2 points per game in their 14 wins.
• Virginia is 0-1 vs. ranked foes in 2021-22, losing 67-47 at then-No. 15 Houston on Nov. 16, 2021.
• UVA’s last top-10 road win was a 69-61 decision at then-No. 8 North Carolina on Feb. 11, 2019.
• UVA is 3-5 on the road.
• The Virginia-Duke game will be televised on ESPN and streamed online at WatchESPN.com and ESPN App.
• The game will also be broadcast on Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
• Live statistics will be available on VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coach
• Dean and Markel Families Head Men’s Basketball Coach Tony Bennett has a 309-112 (.734) mark in 13 seasons at UVA and 378-145 (.723) career mark in 16 seasons as a head coach.
• Bennett won his 300th game at Virginia with the 61-43 victory against Lehigh on Nov. 26, 2021.
• The three-time National (2007, 2015 and 2018) and four-time ACC Coach of the Year (2014, 2015, 2018 and 2019) guided the Cavaliers to their 10th ACC regular-season championship in 2020-21.
• In 2018-19, Bennett led the Cavaliers to their first NCAA national championship, a share of their ninth ACC regular-season title and a school-record 35 wins.
• Bennett has led UVA to 10 consecutive postseason appearances (2012-21) and seven consecutive NCAA tournaments (2014-21).
• UVA is 157-67 (.701) in ACC play (89-23 at home & 68-44 away), 175-34 (.837) at home and 152-45 (.772) in non-conference action (86-9 at JPJ) under Bennett.
• Bennett ranks fifth all-time in winning percentage (.701) among ACC head coaches with 100 or more ACC wins.
Hoo Are These Cavaliers?
• The Cavaliers play defense, take good shots, share and take care of the basketball, rebound, and play more defense.
• UVA is led by its returning backcourt of Kihei Clark (9.8 ppg & 4.0 apg) and Reece Beekman (7.9 ppg, 5.1 apg, 3.5 rpg & 2.2 spg), and the additions of transfers Jayden Gardner (14.3 ppg & 6.8 rpg) and Armaan Franklin (12.3 ppg).
• The Cavaliers added transfers Gardner (East Carolina) and Franklin (Indiana) to fill the void left by standouts Sam Hauser (16 ppg), Jay Huff (13 ppg) and Trey Murphy III (11.3 ppg).
• Gardner averaged 18.5 points and 8.9 rebounds in 79 career games at East Carolina, while Franklin averaged 11.4 points and shot 42.5 percent from 3-point range in 2020-21.
• Francisco Caffaro (4.7 ppg & 4.2 rpg) and Kadin Shedrick (6.6 ppg, 5.1 rpg & 2.4 bpg) anchor the paint. Shedrick started the first 16 games, while Caffaro has started the last seven contests.
• Kody Stattmann (38.5% 3FGs), Taine Murray (38.1% 3FGs), Igor Miliĉić Jr. (36.4% 3FGs) and Carson McCorkle (33.3% 3FGs) provide perimeter shooting off the bench.
Virginia All-Time vs. Duke
• UVA meets Duke for the 175th meeting overall and 71st tilt in Durham in a series that dates back to 1910-11.
• UVA is 52-122 all-time vs. Duke, including an 11-59 road mark.
• Duke defeated UVA 66-65 in the lone meeting between the teams at Cameron Indoor Stadium last season.
• UVA is 2-3 in its last five games vs. Duke and 3-7 in its last 10.
• Five of the last seven meetings have been decided by two points or less.
• Head coach Tony Bennett is 4-12 all-time against Duke at UVA.
• UVA’s road win at Cameron Indoor Stadium in 2017-18 gave Bennett a road win at every Pac-10 (now Pac-12) and ACC school.
Last Time vs. The Blue Devils
• Matthew Hurt had a game-high 22 points to lead Duke (10-8, 8-6 ACC) to a 66-65 win over then-No. 7 Virginia at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Saturday, Feb. 20, 2021.
• Jay Huff had 20 points and 12 rebounds for his eighth career double-double and Sam Hauser added 19 points and eight rebounds for the Cavaliers (15-5, 11-3 ACC).
• Hurt drilled 5 of 8 3-pointers and Jeremy Roach (12 points) and Jaemyn Brakefield (11 points) also reached double figures.
• Kihei Clark added 15 points for Virginia.
• UVA shot 50 percent and outrebounded Duke 32-22.
Last Time Out
• Armaan Franklin scored a game-high 22 points to lead Virginia to a 71-58 win over Miami on Feb. 5 at John Paul Jones Arena.
• Jayden Gardner added 12 points and Kihei Clark added 11 as the Cavaliers (14-9, 8-5 ACC) shot 60 percent in the win.
• Reece Beekman added a game-high 10 assists.
• Kameron McGusty led Miami (16-6, 8-4) with 21 points.
On The Horizon
• Virginia hosts Georgia Tech in ACC action on Saturday, Feb. 12. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 4 p.m. on ESPN2.