No. 16 Virginia Closes Regular Season at Virginia Tech in Smithfield Commonwealth Clash
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 16 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (7-8, 2-5 ACC) closes the regular season on Thursday night (April 21) at Virginia Tech (9-7, 2-5 ACC) in the Smithfield Commonwealth Clash. The game is set for a 7 p.m. opening draw at Thompson Field.
HOW TO WATCH
The game will be streamed live on ACCNX for authenticated subscribers of the ACC Network. Links for the live stats and the live stream are available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can follow @UVAWomensLax on Twitter for in-game updates.
- Virginia wraps up the regular season on the road. The Cavaliers are 2-2 in road games this season.
- UVA is 5-0 against unranked opponents this season.
- Freshman Rachel Clark has 49 goals, which is tied for second-most by a UVA freshman. She needs five more to set the UVA freshman record, currently held by Amy Appelt (53).
- Sophomore Aubrey Williams is sixth all-time at UVA with 168 draw controls. She has 118 for the season.
- Virginia is fourth in the ACC and sixth in the NCAA in draw controls per game (17.87).
AGAINST VIRGINIA TECH
- Virginia and Virginia Tech are meeting for the 28th time.
- UVA owns a 24-3 record against the Hokies.
- The teams met twice in 2021, splitting the meetings.
- The Cavaliers won the first contest, 12-10, on February 27. Virginia Tech took the April 24 meeting, 20-15. Both games were played in Charlottesville.
- UVA lost the last game played in Blacksburg, Va., 16-12 on April 21, 2018.
- Virginia’s last win on the road in the series was a 14-7 victory on April 22, 2016, in the ACC Tournament.
THE SMITHFIELD COMMONWEALTH CLASH
• The Smithfield Commonwealth Clash, originally called the Commonwealth Challenge (2005-2007), has been a part of the UVA-Virginia Tech rivalry since 2014. It is an all-sports points-based program with the Commonwealth Clash trophy presented to the winning school each year for its dominance in head-to-head competitions.
• This series is worth 1.0 point. The Hokies currently lead 9.5-5.5 as of Wednesday.
Virginia will play in the 2022 ACC Tournament held April 29-May 7 in Notre Dame, Ind.