CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Fueled by a three-point performance from Axel Ahlander in the midfield, Virginia cruised past Bowling Green to a 5-1 victory in its final preseason outing on Saturday night (Aug. 20) at Klöckner Stadium.
19’ – Virginia: Phil Horton (Reese Miller, Axel Ahlander)
29’ – Bowling Green: Trace Terry (Joey Akpunonu)
40’ – Virginia: Axel Ahlander (Will Citron, Paul Wiese)
41’ – Virginia: Leo Afonso (Michael Tsicoulias)
78’ – Virginia: Andy Sullins (PK)
80’ – Virginia: Andy Sullins (Kome Ubogu)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Phil Horton picked up right where he left off after his two-goal performance in the Cavaliers’ season opener against Charlotte. In the 19th minute of action, Ahlander and Reese Miller connected on an excellent piece of build-up play to set up Horton for the opening goal.
After Bowling Green equalized in the 29th minute, Virginia struck twice in the final five minutes of the opening 45 as Ahlander and Leo Afonso each tallied goals to give UVA a 3-1 lead going into the half.
Andy Sullins slammed the door shut in the late stages of the game. After drawing a foul inside the area for a penalty kick, the freshman forward delivered from the spot himself. Just two minutes later, Kome Ubogu connected with Sullins to put the finishing touch on a 5-1 win.
- A total of 24 Cavaliers saw action in the exhibition matchup
- Virginia tallied 10 shots placing six on target while Bowling Green took six shots with three landing on frame
- The Falcons earned four corner kicks compared to Virginia’s two
- Horton registered three goals over the course of UVA’s two preseason matchups, the most of any Cavalier
- The teams were whistled for a combined 43 fouls over the course of the match
- The Cavaliers open their regular season on Thursday, August 25 at home against Xavier. The match kicks off at 7 p.m.
- Season tickets and single game tickets are on sale now at UVATix.com