CORAL GABLES, Fla. – For the second straight game Alexa Spaanstra hit the game-winning goal as No. 8 Virginia (13-2-3, 6-2-2 ACC) went on the road and closed the regular-season with a 1-0 victory at Miami (5-8-3, 2-7-1 ACC) on Thursday (Oct. 27).
12’ – UVA: Alexa Spaanstra (unassisted)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Virginia struck with a goal in the 12th minute of play and rode that goal to the victory.
After an initial chance was turned away, the ball bounced back to Lia Godfrey out on the left side of the box. Godfrey tapped it up to Samara Guidry at the corner for another service toward the spot. The cross was deflected to Alexa Spaanstra at the top of the box who sent the ball in past the right post.
NOTES ON THE GAME
• Virginia has now won five straight against Miami and is 5-2-0 at Cobb Stadium. UVA leads 15-2-1 overall.
• Alexa Spaanstra now has 35 career goals to tie for 10th all-time at UVA and her 104 points is sixth all-time.
• The goal for Spaanstra was her second-straight game winner and the 11th game-winning goal of her career.
• Cayla White posted her eighth clean sheet of the season and is now 10-2-3 on the season.
• The 10 wins for White is tied for sixth most in a season by a keeper at Virginia.
• UVA secures a spot in the ACC Tournament for the 35th consecutive season and has made every tournament.
FROM HEAD COACH STEVE SWANSON
“It was a good win tonight. Miami is a very organized, well-coached team and this is a difficult place to get a result. We had a good start to the game thanks to just an unreal strike from Alexa and the team collectively did well to get the shutout. We are happy to finish conference play with a win and look forward to the ACC tournament.”
UP NEXT FOR THE HOOS
Virginia will take the pitch again in the quarterfinals of the ACC Championships when the Cavaliers host Duke on Sunday (Oct. 30). Game time will be announced once TV selections have been made.