CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – No. 18 Virginia (2-0) hosts Northern Iowa (1-1) in nonconference action on Monday, Nov. 14. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 8 p.m. on ACC Network.
• Virginia meets Northern Iowa for the second time.
• UVA is 88-10 at JPJ in non-conference play under Tony Bennett.
• Bennett competed vs. Northern Iowa as a player at Green Bay when the teams were members of the Mid-Continent Conference.
• UVA has made 11 or more 3-pointers in back-to-back games for the first time since Jan. 13-16, 2021 (12 vs. Notre Dame & 15 at Clemson).
• UVA ranks sixth nationally in assist/turnover ratio (2.79), seventh in turnovers per game (7), 16th in 3-point percentage (48%), 20th in 3-pointers per game (12) and 25th in scoring defense (51.5).
• The Virginia-Northern Iowa game will be televised on ACC Network and streamed online at WatchESPN.com.
• The game will also be broadcast on Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
• Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coach
• Dean and Markel Families Head Men’s Basketball Coach Tony Bennett has a 318-117 (.731) mark in 14 seasons at UVA and 387-150 (.721) career mark in 17 seasons as a head coach.
• Bennett needs nine wins to pass Terry Holland (326-173, 16 seasons) as the all-time winningest coach at UVA.
• Bennett needs 13 wins to reach 400 career wins.
• Bennett has guided the Cavaliers to five ACC regular-season titles (2014, 2015, 2018, 2019 and 2021), two ACC Tournament titles (2014 and 2018) and one NCAA national championship (2019).
• The three-time National (2007, 2015 and 2018) and four-time ACC Coach of the Year (2014, 2015, 2018 and 2019) guided UVA to its 10th consecutive postseason berth in 2021-22.
About The Cavaliers
• Virginia returns all five starters from last season’s team, which finished 21-14 overall, 12-8 in the ACC (sixth) and advanced to the NIT quarterfinals.
• We play defense, take quality shots, pass the basketball, limit turnovers and transition points, rebound and play more defense.
• The Cavaliers return 91.4 percent of its scoring from last season, most among all NCAA Division I teams (Portland 91.1%, Dayton 89.4% and Penn 88.5%).
• Returning starters Kihei Clark (8.5 ppg, 6 apg), Reece Beekman (8.5 ppg, 5.5 apg), Jayden Gardner (6 ppg, 7 rpg), Kadin Shedrick (9.5 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.0 bpg) and Armaan Franklin (14.5 ppg) lead the way for the Cavaliers.
• Transfer Ben Vander Plas (8.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg), freshmen Isaac McKneely and Ryan Dunn (13 ppg, 6 rpg), Francisco Caffaro (10 ppg, 4 rpg) and Taine Murray (3.5 ppg) provide quality play off the bench.
• Newcomers Isaac Traudt and Leon Bond III are redshirting the 2022-23 season.
Last Time Out
• Isaac McKneely scored 15 points to ignite No. 18 Virginia (2-0) to an 89-42 win over Monmouth on Friday, Nov. 11 at John Paul Jones Arena.
• UVA held Monmouth scoreless for the last 4:33 of the first half and started the second half with a 19-4 run to ice the win.
• Ryan Dunn added 13 points, six rebounds and three blocks in his collegiate debut.
• UVA went 13 of 25 from 3-point range and outrebounded Monmouth 35-21.
Last Time vs. Northern Iowa
• Justin Anderson helped Virginia shake off a lethargic start, leading the Cavaliers with 16 points, four rebounds and three assists in a 57-43 win over Northern Iowa on Dec. 21, 2013.
• Virginia and Northern Iowa misfired early and often, but the Cavaliers took control early in the second half.
• The Panthers (5-6) had to call a timeout only 2:20 into the second half after a Darion Adkins dunk and a London Perrantes jumper pushed Virginia to a 25-16 lead.
• The win broke a two-game losing streak for Virginia.
• The Cavaliers scored only one basket in the first 6:50 of the game and yet never trailed.
• Seth Tuttle led Northern Iowa with 14 points and 11 rebounds, and Wes Washpun added nine points and five assists.
There’s No Place Like Home
• Virginia is 218-53 (.804), including a 2-0 mark in 2022-23, in 17 seasons at John Paul Jones Arena.
• UVA was 10-1 at JPJ in 2020-21 and is 180-37 (.829), including a 145-22 (.868) mark the past 11 seasons, under Bennett.
• UVA is an ACC-leading 78-13 (.857) in league home games over the past 10 seasons. Duke is second at 77-14 (.846).
• UVA has won 10 or more home games for 13 straight years.
UVA Ranked No. 18 in AP Poll
• UVA is ranked No. 18 in the Associated Press preseason poll.
• UVA is ranked in the preseason AP top 25 for the fifth straight year and ninth in the last 10 seasons under Tony Bennett.
On The Horizon
• No. 18 Virginia battles No. 5 Baylor in the Continental Tire Main Event on Friday, Nov. 18 in Las Vegas, Nev. Tipoff at T-Mobile Arena is set for 7 p.m. on ESPN2.