— Virginia Women's Tennis (@UVAWomensTennis) April 2, 2023
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 12 Virginia women’s tennis team (15-4, 8-2 ACC) picked up a 4-3 victory against No. 30 Clemson (15-8, 3-7 ACC) on Sunday (April 2) at the Virginia Tennis Facility at the Boar’s Head Resort in Charlottesville, Va.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point and took the first three singles matches in straight sets. Senior Natasha Subhash won the clinching point for the second time this weekend with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Eleni Louka on the top court. The victory was the ninth for the Cavaliers in their last 10 matches.
Sara Ziodato and Hibah Shaikh opened the match with a 6-2 victory on the third doubles court. Mélodie Collard and Julia Adams clinched the point with a 7-5 win on court one seconds ahead of Elaine Chervinsky and Natasha Subhash finishing off a 6-4 win on court two.
Ziodato gave the Cavaliers a 2-0 lead with a 6-1, 6-3 win on singles court five. Collard followed with a 6-3, 6-4 victory on six before Subhash made it 4-0 with her win on court one.
Clemson picked up a point when Elaine Chervinsky retired with an injury in the third set against Janne Thompson. Christina Mayorova won a tiebreaker to take the second set and the match on two before Daniella Medvedeva won a super tiebreaker to decide the third set on court three, giving Clemson its third point.
Clemson is ranked No. 30 in the ITA team rankings.
Virginia closes its homestand by playing its final regular-season home contest on Thursday, April 6, when it hosts Virginia Tech in the Smithfield Commonwealth Clash. Thursday will also be Senior Day with grad student Julia Adams being honored before the match.
#12 Virginia 4, #30 Clemson Women’s Tennis 3
- #98 Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Eleni Louka (CUW) 6-1, 6-4
- Cristina Mayorova (CUW) def. #43 Julia Adams (VA) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
- #74 Daniella Medvedeva (CUW) def. #89 Hibah Shaikh (VA) 6-4, 2-6, 10-6
- Jenna Thompson (CUW) def. Elaine Chervinsky (VA) 6-4, 2-6, 1-2, retired
- Sara Ziodato (VA) def. Sophia Hatton (CUW) 6-1, 6-3
- Melodie Collard (VA) def. Leigh Van Zyl (CUW) 6-3, 6-4
- #11 Melodie Collard/Julia Adams (VA) def. Eleni Louka/Sophia Hatton (CUW) 7-5
- #9 Elaine Chervinsky/Natasha Subhash (VA) def. Cristina Mayorova/Daniella Medvedeva (CUW) 6-4
- Sara Ziodato/Hibah Shaikh (VA) def. Leigh Van Zyl/Jenna Thompson (CUW) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,1,4,2,3)