RALEIGH, N.C. – The No. 8 Virginia men’s tennis team (19-4, 10-0 ACC) closed out its weekend road trip with a 4-2 victory at No. 22 NC State (13-8, 7-3 ACC) on Sunday at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center in Raleigh, N.C.
The Cavaliers won the doubles point and straight-set victories on the top three singles courts. Iñaki Montes clinched the victory with a win on singles court two.
The victory was the Cavaliers’ 11th win in a row and third-straight match playing at a top-25 opponent.
Ryan Goetz and Alex Kiefer opened the match with a 6-2 victory on doubles court three. Montes and William Woodall clinched the point with a 6-3 win against No. 15 Robin Catry and Luca Staehli on the top court.
In singles, Jeffrey von der Schulenburg downed Braden Shick 6-3, 6-0 to put the Cavaliers ahead 2-0. After Catry earned a point for NC State on court four, Chris Rodesch closed out a 6-4, 6-4 win on court one. NC State’s Fona van Sambeek countered with a 6-2, 7-5 win on court five before Montes ended the match with a 7-5, 6-2 victory on court two against No. 61 Raafa Izquierdo Luque.
- Virginia has won 36 straight matches in ACC play and 43 straight matches against ACC opponents
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia will close out the regular season at home with matches on Friday, April 14 at 5 p.m. against Clemson and Sunday, April 16 at noon against Georgia Tech
- The ten-year anniversary of the program’s first NCAA team championship will be celebrated at the Clemson match with members of the 2013 team being honored between doubles and singles
- The Georgia Tech match will be the Cavaliers’ senior day with fifth-year student-athletes Ryan Goetz and William Woodall being honored in a pre-match ceremony
#8 Virginia 4, #22 NC State 2
- #14 Chris Rodesch (VA) def. #70 Luca Staeheli (NCST) 6-4, 6-4
- #23 Inaki Montes (VA) def. #61 Rafa Izquierdo Luque (NCST) 7-5, 6-2
- #39 J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Braden Shick (NCST) 6-3, 6-0
- Robin Catry (NCST) def. #104 Ryan Goetz (VA) 6-4, 6-3
- Fona van Sambeek (NCST) def. Mans Dahlberg (VA) 6-2, 7-5
- Joseph Wayland (NCST) vs. Alexander Kiefer (VA) 6-4, 6-6, unfinished
- Inaki Montes/William Woodall (VA) def. #15 Robin Catry/Luca Staeheli (NCST) 6-3
- #24 Rafa Izquierdo Luque/Joseph Wayand vs. Chris Rodesch/J vd Schulenburg (VA) 5-4, unfinished
- Ryan Goetz/Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Braden Shick/Fons van Sambeek (NCST) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,4,1,5,2)