CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – The No. 12 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (10-5, 5-3 ACC) fell 25-13 to No. 7 Boston College (12-3, 7-1 ACC) on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Stadium.
Junior Mackenzie Hoeg and sophomore Rachel Clark led UVA with four goals each. Graduate student Ashlyn McGovern had three goals with one assist and senior Kiki Shaw added two goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cavaliers took a 3-1 lead in the first quarter with three-straight goals in four minutes. Hoeg scored the first two goals for Virginia and McGovern added her first of the day in the run.
Ashlyn McGovern grabs a rebound off the pipe and sends it in! Hoos on a 3⃣-0⃣ run
UVA – 3, BC – 1
7:02 1Q #GoHoos pic.twitter.com/a48H4GBq9Z
— Virginia Women’s Lacrosse (@UVAWomensLax) April 15, 2023
- Shaw and McGovern scored to put UVA up 5-2 with 19 seconds to go in the first before BC scored two in the final seconds of the quarter to cut it to 5-4 after the first period.
- Hoeg notched her hat trick early in the second quarter to go up 6-5.
- Clark scored her first of the afternoon to tie the game 7-7 with 4:53 to play in the first half.
- UVA trailed 10-7 after a 3-0 run for BC, but two goals in less than a minute to cut it to 10-9 with 13 seconds left in the half. The Eagles notched another last second goal to take an 11-9 lead into the break.
- Clark opened the scoring in the second half to cut BC’s lead to 11-10.
- Shaw and Clark had two goals into the third to keep UVA within three, 15-12.
- BC had an 8-0 run before McGovern scored the last goal of the game for UVA with three minutes remaining.
- Junior Aubrey Williams led UVA with eight draw controls.
- McGovern now has 198 career goals with her three against BC.
- Clark had a career-high four draw controls.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Abby Jansen led UVA with three ground balls, tallying all six saves on the day.
- UVA trailed in shots (43-30), saves (9-6), draw controls (21-17) and ground balls (13-9).
Virginia will close out the regular season at home, hosting Virginia Tech on Thursday, April 20 at 7 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium in the Smithfield Commonwealth Clash.