— Virginia Women's Tennis (@UVAWomensTennis) April 22, 2023
DURHAM, N.C. – The Virginia women’s tennis team (18-6, 10-3 ACC) suffered a 4-0 loss against North Carolina (29-0, 12-0 ACC) in the semifinals of the 2023 ACC Women’s Tennis Championship on Saturday (April 22) at Duke’s Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center in Durham, N.C.
The match was scheduled to be played outdoors at the Cary Tennis Center but was moved to an indoor venue because of thunderstorms.
The Cavaliers battled through the doubles point. After North Carolina won on court two, Mélodie Collard and Julia Adams won 6-4 against No. 16 Elizabeth Scotty and Reese Brantmeier on the top court. The third doubles court was tied at five all. Reilly Tran and Abbey Forbes held serve and then broke Sara Ziodato and Annabelle Xu to win 7-5 and take the point.
The Tar Heels took four of six first sets in singles. Adams won her first set 7-5 against Reese Brantmeier, who is ranked No. 6 in the ITA singles rankings. Collard also won her first set, a 6-4 win on six against No. 37 Anika Yarkagadda.
North Carolina converted three of their first set victories into straight-set wins, taking courts four and one before Carson Tanguilig clinched the victory on court three.
North Carolina is the top seed in the tournament and ranked No. 1 in the ITA team rankings. Virginia was seeded fourth and is ranked No. 10 in the ITA team rankings.
Adams’s doubles victory was the 100th of her collegiate career. She played four years at Furman before playing this year as a grad student at Virginia. She is 29-10 this season in doubles.
The field for the 2023 NCAA Women’s Tennis Championship will be announced via an online selection show that will stream on NCAA.com on Monday, May 1 at 6 p.m.
North Carolina 4, Virginia 0
- #1 Fiona Crawley (NC) def. #51 Natasha Subhash (VA-W) 6-2, 6-2
- #6 Reese Brantmeier (NC) vs. #54 Julia Adams (VA-W) 5-7, 6-3, unfinished
- #21 Carson Tanguilig (NC) def. #77 Annabelle Xu (VA-W) 6-3, 6-3
- #95 Elizabeth Scotty (NC) def. #120 Hibah Shaikh (VA-W) 6-1, 6-4
- #98 Reilly Tran (NC) vs. Sara Ziodato (VA-W) 6-4, 2-4, unfinished
- #37 Anika Yarlagadda (NC) vs. Melodie Collard (VA-W) 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
- #13 Melodie Collard/Julia Adams (VA-W) def. #16 Elizabeth Scotty/Reese Brantmeier (NC) 6-4
- #11 Carson Tanguilig/Fiona Crawley (NC) def. #34 Natasha Subhash/Elaine Chervinsky (VA-W) 6-3
- Reilly Tran/Abbey Forbes (NC) def. Sara Ziodato/Annabelle Xu (VA-W) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,1,3)