CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia softball team (29-21) closes out the regular season on Tuesday (May 2) when the Cavaliers travel to take on Longwood (27-17) in a 5 p.m. contest at Lancer Field in Farmville, Va.
HOW TO FOLLOW THE ACTION
Tuesday’s contest will be streamed on ESPN+ and is available through the ESPN app and at ESPN.com. Live stats are also available for the game. Links to the live stats and the stream are available at VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get updates by following the program’s official Twitter account (@UVASoftball).
- The non-conference matchup with the Lancers on Tuesday closes out the regular season for the Cavaliers.
- Virginia has locked up a berth in next week’s ACC Championships and will be making the program’s 26th overall appearance in the event and second straight appearance.
- Freshman Jade Hylton was named to the TUCCI/NFCA National Freshman of the Year Top 25 list on Friday.
- Hylton continues to lead the Cavaliers in several offensive categories including batting average (.305), RBI (26), runs scored (32). She is tied for the team lead in home runs (10).
- The Cavaliers have hit 49 home runs this season which is fifth-most in a single season passing the 2016 team.
- Tori Gilbert is tied with Hylton on the season with 10 home runs and has 34 for her career which is second all-time in a UVA career. She needs one more to tie Sara Larquier (2003-06) for the career home run record.
- Hylton leads the team in steals with 22 which is third most in the ACC and Kelly Ayer has 21 steals which is fourth most in the ACC.
- As a team, the Cavaliers have tallied 96 steals which is tied for fourth most in a season with the 2001 team and currently ranks second in the ACC.
- Freshman RHP Eden Bigham continues to be second in the ACC in shutouts as she has posted six shutouts to date.
- Virginia is fielding at a .973 clip this season which is the third best in the ACC and currently comes in at second best all-time for a season in program history. The 2022 team set the mark with a .976 fielding percentage.
THE SERIES WITH LONGWOOD
- Virginia and Longwood have faced each other 38 times with the Lancers leading the series 22-17.
- The teams have met once already this season with the Hoos taking a 5-1 victory in Charlotteville on February 23.
- Virginia’s last win at Longwood came in the 2016 season in the back end of a doubleheader against the Lancers.
LAST TIME OUT AGAINST THE LANCERS
- Virginia picked up a 5-1 victory over the Lancers in the last meeting in Charlottesville in February.
- Molly Grube picked up the win with 5.0 innings of work and eight strikeouts. She allowed one unearned run.
- Eden Bigham closed out the final 2.0 innings for the Hoos to help lock up the victory.
- Jade Hylton went 3-for-4 with a home run, while Gabby Baylog went 2-for-2 with a home run to lead the offense.
ON DECK FOR THE HOOS
Virginia has locked up a berth in the ACC Championships and will compete in the annual event which is hosted this year by Notre Dame. The tournament runs May 10-13 with brackets and seedings to be announced.