CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia volleyball team (7-3) open ACC play this weekend on the road, traveling down to Tobacco Road to square off against North Carolina (6-3) on Friday (Sept. 22) at 6 p.m. from Carmichael Gym. The Hoos will then face Duke (9-2) on Sunday (Sept. 24), first serve from Cameron Indoor is set for 1 p.m.
Both matches are set to be streamed on ACC Network Extra (ACCNX).
- Both of Virginia’s matches will be streamed on ACC Network Extra (ACCNX) through the ESPN app, which is available through participating TV providers that carry ACC Network.
- Live stats will also be available for both matches and can be accessed through the volleyball schedule page on VirginiaSports.com
- Virginia opens ACC play against North Carolina on Friday (Sept. 22), the Tar Heels hold a 54-16 lead in the all-time series over the Cavaliers. The two sides first met Oct. 24, 1980 where UVA fell in two sets (12-15, 8-15)
- The Hoos are then set to face off against Duke on Sunday (Sept. 24) and trail 14-57 all-time against the Blue Devils.
LAST TIME OUT
- Virginia finished with a 1-1 record in the Jefferson Cup Invitational, taking down Norfolk State (Sept. 15) in three sets before falling to Wofford (Sept. 16) 3-1 in the tournament Finale.
- Libero Milan Gomillion and right side hitter Chloe Wilson were named to the all-tournament team Gomillion finished the weekend with 30 digs (4.29 per set) and anchored the Virginia defense, holding Norfolk State to under 20 points in all three sets. Wilson registered 18 kills on a .342 hitting percentage while chipping in five blocks during the Jefferson Cup.
- This year marks the 45th season of Virginia Volleyball, which held its inaugural season in 1979.
- In 44 complete seasons, UVA is 669-752 (.471)
- The Cavaliers are set to host 14 home matches in 2023.
- Head coach Shannon Wells is in her third season at the helm.