OXFORD, Ohio – The No. 7 Virginia field hockey team (7-4) picked up a 2-0 victory at Miami University (8-5) on Sunday (Oct. 1) at Miami Field Hockey Complex in Oxford, Ohio.
The Cavaliers outshot the RedHawks 19-1. Adele Iacobucci and Noa Boterman scored the Virginia goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Virginia took a 1-0 lead midway through the first quarter when Iacobucci took a hard shot that deflected off a defender’s stick into the net.
Miami had its lone penalty corner in the final minute of the first half, with the team’s shot blocked by Virginia’s defense.
Boterman added an insurance goal for the Cavaliers 6:01 into the fourth quarter, scoring on Virginia’s 12th penalty corner of the game.
This was Virginia’s third shutout victory of the season
- Virginia took a season-high 19 shots, eight on goal. Miami had one shot, zero on goal
- Virginia held a 13-1 edge in penalty corners
- Adele Iacobucci’s goal was her second of the season and her second game-winning goal
- Noa Boterman’s goal was her fourth of the season
- Daniela Mendez-Trendler and Emily Field assisted on the second goal
- Virginia is 15-0 all-time against Miami
FROM HEAD COACH MICHELE MADISON
“We established our passing game early and our small game. We were able to create a lot of opportunities in the attacking 25. Miami played a great corner defense, blocking the goal. We were fortunate to be able to get two in.”
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia returns home to host No. 4 Duke on Friday, Oct. 6 at 5 p.m.