CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 16 Virginia women’s lacrosse team is set to open the 2024 season on Friday (Feb. 9) when the Cavaliers take on Liberty at the Liberty Lacrosse Field in Lynchburg, Va.
HOW TO WATCH
Fridays game at Liberty will be streamed live on ESPN+ for authenticated subscribers. Links for the live stats and live stream are available on VirginiaSports.com.
NOTES ON THE GAME
- Virginia and Liberty are set to meet on the lacrosse field for the first time in the history of the two programs
- The game will mark the first of head coach Sonia LaMonica’s tenure, who was announced as Virginia’s head women’s lacrosse coach in July of 2023
- LaMonica arrives at Virginia following 14 years spent at Towson where she amassed a record of 139-91
HOOS ON THE FIELD
- The Cavalier line up will feature some familiar faces including captains Mackenzie Hoeg, Kiki Shaw and Morgan Schwab
- The team’s leader in assists for 2023 with 49 on the season, Schwab is quickly approaching Virginia’s top five in career assists. Her fifth assist of the season will tie her for fifth on the list.
- Lehigh transfer Katia Carnevale is expected to slot right into the Virginia line up at midfield. The graduate student brings a nine-game scoring streak with her dating back to March of 2023
- Kate Miller will be a key for Virginia at attack. The junior has recorded a point in her last 11 outings, the longest active streak among Cavaliers.
The Cavaliers will return to Charlottesville for their home opener when the team faces off with Stanford on Sunday (Feb. 11) at Klöckner Stadium. First draw is set for 1 p.m.