Meghen Hengerer Pronunciation Guide
HIGH SCHOOL/CLUB HOCKEY
- 2020 U.S. Women’s National Indoor Development Team
- Scored 37 goals with 30 assists in three years at Bernards High School
- Two-time North Jersey Group 2 First Team after being named to the second team her sophomore year
- Three-time All Somerset County first team, first team All-Division and first team All-Skyland Conference
- Earned the Scholar-Athlete distinction three times
- Played on the Irish U16 National Field Hockey team, earning her first national team cap against USA
- As a member of the Irish U16 team, played a three-game series against Scotland in Scotland as well as traveling to Spain to compete in the Six Nations Tournament
- Member of the Irish U15 girls soccer team from 2014-16, scoring a goal in a match against England’s U15 squad
- Parents are Robin Hengerer and Mark Hengerer
- Her twin sister, Lilly, is also joining the Cavaliers
- Older sister, Kelsey, plays field hockey at Richmond, and will be a senior in 2020
- Lived in Galway, Ireland for over five years, moving to the United States for her sophomore year of high school
- Also played Gaelic football while living in Ireland
- Undeclared major
IN HER OWN WORDS
I choose Virginia because:
I chose UVA because of the community, the sense of support within the whole community and especially for the athletic teams the school has to offer is amazing. I picked UVA because the coaches seemed like they would challenge me to get out of my comfort zone on and off the field, which was something I was looking for. Everyone on the team are people I would like to surround myself with and I can see myself making great memories with them. Additionally, I wanted to be challenged both in the classroom and on the field, which I will find at UVA.
What impact can I see myself making in the UVA community:
I feel as though I can see myself pushing people to be the best that they can be. I’m fun to be around but I also am competitive which will push the people around be their best. I feel as though those traits will allow to fit in really well at the University of Virginia.
Why do my teammates want me on their team during the most challenging situation or what I can offer the team in the most challenged good situation:
I remain composed under challenges and stay positive and encourage my teammates. I love the pressure that challenges bring and I step up to the mark every time, which rubs off on my teammates.
What makes me laugh?
It is really easy to make me laugh, I find a lot of things funny as I am a happy person but one thing that makes me laugh really hard is when people sneeze. My friends and family are also very funny, and make me laugh a lot.
FROM COACH MADISON
“Meghen, who is a midfielder/back, brings much needed depth to our back four. She was a decent tackler at the high school level. She can body up and will need to use her body more to win the positioning battles. We value strong distribution skills from out-backs and Meghen will keep improving those over time.”