Sheridan Snyder Tennis Center
Representing a major component in the development of elite collegiate tennis programs at the University of Virginia, the Sheridan Snyder Tennis Center opened for competition in the spring of 1997.
Conveniently located near UVa’s Central Grounds, the $1.4 million complex features 13 courts, spectator seating for 1,000 fans, a scoreboard and sound system. In 2004, the Lady Astor Tennis Pavilion was completed nearby which is home to locker rooms for both the men’s and women’s tennis teams and a conference room.
The tennis center is named after Sheridan Snyder, a 1958 UVa graduate who founded the National Junior Tennis League. Snyder is also a board member of Friends of Virginia Tennis. The facility has been host to major collegiate competitions in recent years. The Snyder Tennis Center hosted NCAA Regionals every spring since 2004. The women’s squad played host to NCAA competition for the first time in 2010.
In addition to serving as Virginia’s primary practice and competition facility, the Snyder Tennis Center is regularly used for University faculty and staff tournaments, camps, clinics and student classes. It has also accommodated community participants in the Dogwood Festival Tournament, a number of Junior Tournaments and MATA Tournaments. Open 18 hours a day, the center provides more than 120 hours of tennis opportunities each week for members of the University community.
Tennis facilities at UVa date back to 1931 with the construction of the Lady Astor tennis courts. The school’s first tennis center was made possible by a gift from Nancy Lady Astor, a Virginia-born member of the British Parliament, who contributed her resources on the condition that others would take part in the venture.
During the more than six decades since the original 14 courts were built, innumerable matches have been played on the site.
Together, the University and The Friends of Tennis program hope to build on Lady Astor’s foundation and create the most impressive and functional facility for collegiate tennis in the nation.
Sheridan Snyder Tennis Center – 210 Emmet Street South
From the East/West: Take I-64 to exit 118B (Culpeper-Charlottesville). Take second exit (sign will say University of Virginia Information Center and Business 250 East) and bear right onto Ivy Rd. At third stop light, turn right onto Emmet St. The Tennis Center will be on your left side in front of Memorial Gym. Parking is on side streets or in the Parking Garage, which is behind Memorial Gym.
From the North: Take Route 29 south into Charlottesville (Emmet St.). All the way into the Ivy Rd./University Ave. area. After passing through this intersection, the Tennis Center will be on your left side in front of Memorial Gym. Parking is on side streets or in the Parking Garage, which is behind Memorial Gym.
From the South: Take Route 29 to Business Route 250 East (sign will say University of Virginia Information Center) and bear right onto Ivy Rd. At third stop light, turn right onto Emmet St. The Tennis Center will be on your left side in front of Memorial Gym. Parking is on side streets or in the Parking Garage, which is behind Memorial Gym.