CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Freshman Ank Nibogora scored the game-winning goal in the 87th minute to give Virginia (1-0-0) a 2-1 victory over Western Michigan (0-1-0) on Thursday night at Klöckner Stadium.
27’ – UVA: Leo Afonso
83’ – WMU: Aidan O’Connor
87’ – UVA: Ank Nibogora
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UVA took the lead in the 27th minute when sophomore Leo Afonso scored on a header. Freshman Paul Wiese played set up the play by passing it off to sophomore Kaya Ignacio, who tapped it back for Wiese to send it in to Afonso.
- Western Michigan tied the game in the 83rd minute when Aidan O’Connor scored on the assist from Charlie Sharp.
- After a yellow card on Western Michigan, Wiese took the set piece into the box where junior Andreas Ueland headed it out towards the corner and Nibogora was there for the finish to score the game-winner.
- It was the third career goal for Leo Afonso after he scored four goals in preseason for the Cavaliers.
- The game-winner was the first collegiate goal for Ank Nibogora.
- Paul Wiese scored his first collegiate point on the assist to Afonso in the 27th minute.
- Wiese, Oliver Gerbig, Jules Anderson and Andres Ueland played all 90 minutes.
- Virginia was man-up for 80:34 after a red card on Western Michigan’s Caden Jackman in the ninth minute.
- The Cavaliers went up two men after two yellows for Broncos’ Phillip Smith.
- Virginia out-shot Western Michigan 9-4 and led 6-3 on corners. The Broncos had the edge in saves, 4-2.
FROM HEAD COACH GEORGE GELNOVATCH
“It was a good service in the box, good runs and Andreas got his head on it. Good aggressiveness, bodies defensively are tired at that point so if you make good runs and put a good ball in good things happen. I give Ank a lot of credit, that was his first collegiate goal and it was a game-winner.”
Virginia remains at home to host High Point on Thursday, September 2 at 7 p.m. at Klöckner Stadium. The match will be broadcast on ACCNX.