PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The No. 7 Virginia men’s squash team (12-6) fell to No. 2 Harvard (13-1) in the first round of the Potter Cup by a score of 8-1 at the Penn Squash Center on Friday afternoon.
The Hoos fell behind early as Harvard’s Adam Corocran and Samuel Scherl took the first two matches in three-game sweeps. CJ Baldini won his first game by a score of 11-6 but fell in his next three as Liam Rotzoll increased the Crimson lead to 3-0. The Crimson clinched the match at 5-0 with wins over Omar El Torkey and Myles McIntyre.
The Cavaliers registered their only point in the match as Will Holey edged Tate Harms in a five-game thriller. Holey dominated the opening game with an emphatic 11-2 win, but Harms answered with the reverse score to level the individual match at 1-1. After splitting the third and fourth games, Holey came through with 12-10 win to secure a point for Virginia.
- Virginia falls to 0-2 against Harvard all-time
- Will Holey’s victory marks the first point Virginia has tallied against the Crimson
- Aly Hussain’s defeat snapped a 12-game win streak
- Virginia moves into the consolation bracket for the second consecutive season
- The Cavaliers won the consolation bracket with victories over Yale and Rochester in 2020
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia will take on the loser of the match between Columbia and Trinity in the consolation round on Saturday (Feb. 19) at 11:30 a.m.
No. 2 Harvard 8, No.7 Virginia 1
- Victor Crouin (HARVARD) def. Aly Hussein (M_UVA) 11-4, 11-4, 11-6
- Marwan Tarek (HARVARD) def. Omar El Torkey (M_UVA) 11-4, 11-6, 11-4
- Samuel Scherl (HARVARD) def. Taha Dinana (M_UVA) 11-4, 11-4, 11-3
- George Crowne (HARVARD) def. Cullen Little (M_UVA) 11-3, 11-9, 11-6
- Adam Corcoran (HARVARD) def. Tyler Mackesy (M_UVA) 11-3, 11-1, 11-5
- Ido Burstein (HARVARD) def. Myles McIntyre (M_UVA) 11-5, 11-4, 8-11, 11-7
- Liam Rotzoll (HARVARD) def. CJ Baldini (M_UVA) 6-11, 11-3, 11-9, 11-9
- Will Holey (M_UVA) def. Tate Harms (HARVARD) 11-2, 2-11, 11-7, 5-11, 12-10
- Conner Stoltz (HARVARD) def. Teddy Durfee (M_UVA) 11-6, 11-4, 11-6
- John Finley Ong (HARVARD) vs. Drew Barr (M_UVA) no result