GREENSBORO, N.C. – The No. 1 Virginia women’s swimming & diving team swept the events with three ACC titles on Thursday (Feb. 16) at the 2023 ACC Swimming & Diving Championships at the Greensboro Aquatic Center.
ACC CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS
- Senior Ella Nelson won her second ACC title of the meet and her third consecutive championship in the 400-yard individual medley. Nelson finished improved her own meet record and broke the 4-minute mark with a 3:59.33 in the win.
- Senior Kate Douglass won her second individual ACC Championship and set an American, NCAA and US Open record in the 100-yard butterfly. Douglass finished in 48.84 to just top Maggie McNeil’s previous US Open and NCAA record of 48.89.
- Junior Alex Walsh capped off the women’s sweep with her UVA record and ACC Championship in the 200-yard freestyle. Walsh won her second 200 free title with a time of 1:41.63.
- Virginia’s women earned silver in two events, taking the top two spots on the podium in the 100 fly and 200 free. Sophomore Gretchen Walsh finished behind Douglass with a time of 49.34. Freshman Aimee Canny placed second in the 200 free with a career-best 1:42.62.
- Sophomore Tim Connery set another UVA record with his time of 45.21 in the 100-yard butterfly to finish fifth overall.
- Sophomore Ella Bathurst finished fifth with a time of 4:11.00 and junior Sophia Wilson was sixth in 4:11.89. Junior Abby Harter placed 13th with a time of 4:13.86.
- Senior Lexi Cuomo finished seventh in the 100-yard butterfly in 51.51. Freshman Carly Novelline was second in the Consolation final to place 10th overall with a time of 51.92.
- In the 200-yard freestyle, sophomore Reilly Tiltmann was sixth with a time of 1:45.55. Junior Maxine Parker won the Consolation final to finish ninth (1:45.83), freshman Claire Tuggle was 12th (1:46.33) and senior Maddie Donohoe was 13th (1:46.51).
- Sophomore Colin Bitz finished 11th in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 3:46.79 and fellow sophomore Matt Styczen was 16th in 3:49.76.
- Senior Josh Fong was 15th in the 100-yard butterfly (46.44) and fellow senior Max Edwards was 22nd (46.54).
- Senior Jack Wright finished 12th in the 200-yard freestyle with a career-best and the seventh-fastest time in UVA history in 1:33.73. Junior Will Cole was 16th in 1:35.36.
- Junior Oliver Mills finished 15th on the men’s 3-meter with a score of 327.70 to lead UVA’s divers.
Friday’s events will include the 200 fly, 100 back, 100 breast, women’s platform and 400 medley relay.