CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia volleyball team (1-1) travels to New York City this weekend to compete in the Big Apple Tournament, hosted by Columbia. The Cavaliers will face Quinnipiac (2-1) on Friday (Sept. 1) at 4 p.m. before challenging the Columbia Lions (0-0) on Saturday (Sept. 2) at 12 p.m..
Both matches will be available to stream on ESPN+.
- This year marks the 45th season of Virginia Volleyball, which held its inaugural season in 1979.
- In 44 complete seasons, UVA is 662-749 (.469)
- The Cavaliers are set to host 14 home matches in 2023.
- For the first time in history, Virginia will face Rider (Aug. 25) and Quinnipiac (Sept. 1).
- Head coach Shannon Wells is in her third season at the helm.
- Virginia takes on Quinnipiac for the first time in program history, while the Hoos lead the all-time series with Columbia 1-0.
LAST TIME OUT
- Virginia kicked off the 2023 season by going 1-1 at the Cavalier Classic in Charlottesville, Va. with a win over Rider (Aug. 25) and a narrow loss in five sets to Rutgers (Aug. 26).
- Middle blocker Abby Tadder and setter Ashley Le were named to the all-tournament team. Tadder led all Virginia players through the first weekend in kills (27) and hitting percentage (.447). Le finished the weekend with 72 assists and 38 digs. She posted a career best 46 assists and 24 digs against Rutgers.
- Newcomers Meredith Reeg, Milan Gomillion, Ciera Hecht, Lily Gervase, Regan Trueblood and Lauryn Bowie all made their debuts as Cavaliers during the tournament.