GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The Virginia swimming & diving teams split action with Florida on Friday (Oct. 13) at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. UVA’s top-ranked women won 164-136, while the No. 15 men fell 202-93.
Virginia’s women posted 10 wins in the meet, with Gretchen and Alex Walsh both winning two events.
The Cavaliers had 15 swimmers and divers make their UVA debuts: Hayden Bellotti, Jack Berube, Aimee Crosbie, Teddy Cross, Tristen Davin, Noah Dyer, Tess Howley, Cavan Gormsen, Zack Larrick, Simon Lins, Jack Madoch, Jasmine Nocentini, Sam O’Brien, Maggie Schalow, Dean Treanor.
- Two freshmen grabbed event wins in their UVA debuts. Cavan Gormsen picked up the first individual event win for UVA, taking the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:42.49. Tess Howley won the 200-yard butterfly in 1:54.75.
- Sophomore Aimee Canny won the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 1:44.44.
- Junior Gretchen Walsh swept her two events, winning the 100-yard backstroke in 50.29 and the 100-yard freestyle in 47.19. Both times are the fastest in each event so far this season.
- Senior Alex Walsh led a UVA top-four sweep in the 100-yard breaststroke. Walsh won with a time of 59.37. Graduate transfer Jasmine Nocentini finished second in her UVA debut (59.81), followed by sophomores Emma Weber (1:00.37) and Zoe Skirboll (1:00.82).
- A. Walsh added a win in the 100-yard butterfly (51.87).
- Graduate student Ella Nelson won the 200-yard breaststroke by three seconds with a time of 2:09.68.
- The Cavaliers took both relays, winning the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:35.89 and the 400-yard freestyle relay in 3:14.73
- Senior Will Cole placed was second in the 200-yard backstroke (1:47.97) and third in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 48.76.
- Junior Tim Connery was third in the 100-yard breaststroke in 55.34.
- Sophomore Sebastien Sergile was third in the 200-yard butterfly (1:46.39).
- Senior Matt Brownstead finished .4 seconds off of first in a matchup with NCAA runner-up Josh Liendo (Florida). Liendo won in 19.43 and Brownstead took second in 19.82. Junior Connor Boyle clocked in third in 20.29.
- Brownstead followed that with a second-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle, finishing in 43.54.
- Junior Max Iida was second in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:01.52) and junior Matt Styczen took third (2:03.93).
- Senior Tanner Hering and sophomore Alex Hotta were second and third, respectively, in the 500-yard freestyle.
- Sophomore Kamal Muhammad was second (48.12) and freshman Hayden Bellotti was third (48.40) in the 100-yard butterfly.
- Styczen and Iida went two-three in the 400-yard IM. Styczen finished in 3:57.50 and Iida clocked a 4:02.52.
- UVA’s relay team of Brownstead, Boyle, Sergile and senior Tim Connery, respectively, finished second in the 400-yard freestyle relay (2:55.38).
- Junior Lizzy Kaye placed second on the 3-meter (307.35) and third on the 1-meter (266.48) to lead UVA’s women.
- Senior Oliver Mills was the top finisher in both events for the men, taking fifth in the 3-meter (282.75) and 1-meter (289.13) events.
Virginia will host Texas (No. 2 women/No. 7 men) in a two-day dual meet Friday, Oct. 27 and Saturday, Oct. 28 at the Aquatic and Fitness Center.