Jake Gelof Pronunciation
• One of 45 players named to the Golden Spikes Award midseason watch list.
• D1Baseball.com Midseason Player of the Year
• Named ACC Player of the Week, NCBWA National co-Player of the Week and listed as a Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Player of the Week on Feb. 28 after going 9-for-10 with four home runs and 15 RBI in four games.
• On Feb. 27, hit for the cycle against Cornell in four at bats and five innings played. It was the first cycle by a Cavalier since Hunter Wyant against High Point on March 12, 2001. Gelof homered in the first inning, doubled in the second, tripled in the fourth and singled in the fifth.
• Drove in eight runs in series opener against Cornell on Feb. 25, most by a UVA hitter since Kenny Towns drove in eight against East Carolina on Feb. 15, 2013.
• Recorded multi-homer games four times – 2/25 vs. Cornell, 3/8 vs. George Washington, 3/11 at Duke and 3/19 vs. Boston College. He’s the first UVA player to collect four-multi homer games in a season since Jon Benick in 2001.
• One of 13 baseball student-athletes from the Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee region to earn a spot on the CoSIDA Academic All-District Team
• Appeared in 38 games and made 29 starts (24 at 1B, 3 at 2B & 2 in RF) as a true freshman
• Started the final 24 games of the season at first base, taking over for the injured Devin Ortiz. UVA went 16-8 in those 24 contests.
• Went 28-for-111 (.252) with eight doubles, two triples and four home runs and 15 RBI at the plate for the season.
• Named to the All-Columbia Regional Team after scoring a team-high six runs and going 5-for-18 (.278) with two doubles, two home runs and three RBI over five games.
• Made his collegiate debut as a pinch-hitter against UConn on Feb. 20
• Recorded his first collegiate hit, a single against Notre Dame on March 13, also his first start of the season.
• Homered in the same game as his brother Zack twice – the first time against Notre Dame in the ACC Tournament and again in the NCAA Regional opener against South Carolina on June 4. The home run against Notre Dame was the first of his career.
• Hit a walk-off single against Wake Forest on May 15 to clinch the series, part of a 2-for-5, 3 RBI night
• Reached base nine times in the Wake Forest series, was 5-for-11 with four runs scored, two doubles, a triple, three walks and five RBI
• Went back-to-back with Alex Tappen in the fifth inning of game one of the Super Regional against Dallas Baptist on June 12
• Hit a two-run homer in the sixth inning of an NCAA Regional elimination game against Jacksonville on June 5. He was 3-for-4 with two doubles, a home run and four runs scored in the contest. The two doubles, four runs scored and eight total bases matched UVA single-game NCAA Tournament records.
• Tied the game with a solo homer in the third inning against South Carolina on June 4
• Went 3-for-6 with two doubles and two RBI in UVA’s 18-1 victory at Virginia Tech on April 30
• Listed on the ACC Academic Honor Roll
SUMMER 2021: Played 32 games for the Kalamazoo Growlers of the Northwoods League, alongside UVA teammate Alex Tappen … batted a team-best .370 (44-for-119) with 10 doubles, a triple, five home runs and 21 RBI … put together a total of 16 multi-hit efforts … in his third game of the summer went 3-for-3 with two home runs and four RBI against the Traverse City Pit Splitters on July 5
IMG ACADEMY/CAPE HENLOPEN HIGH SCHOOL
• Attended Cape Henlopen High School from 2016-18 before transferring to IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) for his final two years
• Top ranked overall player and No. 1 shortstop in Delaware’s 2020 class according to Perfect Game
• Prior to transferring to IMG, helped CHHS to state championship as a sophomore. Batted .571 and led the team with seven RBI and recorded a save in the title run
• Played two years of soccer at CHHS, earning All-Conference honors his sophomore year as a goalkeeper after eight shutouts. Made two saves in PK shootout to help CHHS advance to state semifinal match
• An Academic All-Conference selection in both baseball and soccer at CHHS as a freshman and sophomore
• Selected to play in MLB East Coast Pro and Rivalry Classic
• Played travel ball for Canes Baseball (2016-2020) where he won two Wilson Classic Championships, WWBA tournament and achieved 2019 final Perfect Game #1 team in Nation ranking.
• Born in Rehoboth Beach, Del.
• Son of Adam and Kelly Gelof
• His brother Zack was a member of the UVA baseball team from 2019-21 and was a second round pick of the Oakland Athletics in 2021.
• Yet to declare a major at UVA